So it is with great excitement that we are pleased to announce that our dream may be on the verge of becoming true. We have recently agreed terms with Ipswich Borough Council to take over what is currently The New Wolsey Studio.
Obviously there is much planning still to do and lots of water to flow under the bridge but we hope that you will be as thrilled as we are to embark upon the next exciting phase in the development of Gallery Players.
Updates will follow shortly but we are hoping to take possession in late 2020, early 2021.
A short history of the building
The Salem Chapel was constructed in 1812 at a time when Ipswich was an important centre of religious dissention. It is an example of a class of building of which there were many but it is the only one to have survived into the 21st century in more or less it’s original state. It is of sufficient historical and architectural interest therefore to warrant it’s grade 2 listing.
The Chapel was opened on 11th June 1812. It was built at the sole expense of Mr Joseph hamberlain for £1200 and he coveyed it to trustees for the use of Particular Baptists. At 45′ x 35′, the Salem Chapel was intended to accomodate four hundred people.